Thursday, April 14, 2011

Time Out of Mind

My heart comes with a shut off switch that triggers involuntarily.

One second I'll love you, the next I'll let my mind wander and my heart wander farther.

I'm sorry, I don't mean it. I can't help it.

It's a manufacturing defect.

I have a beautiful exterior, capable of fulfilling all the qualities you desire in a companion.

But my heart, my center, experiences an involuntary shut down after an unpredictable amount of time.

Though before this happens you'll be loved sweeter than you've ever been. You'll hear all the words you've wanted to hear. The imprint on your mind will be everlasting.

You can try to oil the gears. You can try to upload your logic. You can bring all the reason and fury from your mind and heart in an attempt to make this anomaly go away.

But you can't.

I suppose there's always a chance I could overcome it. Perhaps with the help of so many doctors and chemicals.

But try as you might, love me as you might, despite being the best I'll likely ever find, you can't stop the weight of my brain triggering the switch in my heart.

I'm sorry. At least, I think I am -- everything's so hard to figure out.

Feelings are confusing, and your attempts at goading me into feeling are infuriating because I'd like them to work but they don't.

I'm sorry but don't know how to say it.
Scared, but don't know how to show it.

1 comment:

Robert Zhang said...

hey Anthony just wanted to say I like your musicianship and poetry such as On Love song. I am a huge fan of GFW brodeo even though it's dead and I love to listen to it whenever I'm feeling down or bored. You guys were the best thanks for being on that podcast I really appreciate all the stories you shared and the work you did.